COVID19 has created all sorts of troubles for Canadian Host Families and Au Pairs. From flight cancelations to quarantines and Visa processing holds… here is some information to help you navigate through these strange times.
Citizenship and Immigration Canada has announced that the International Experience Canada Visa program will be reopening for 2021. The process is requiring that applicants have a valid job offer as part of the approval process. This means that families will need to offer employment to Au Pairs in order for the Visa process to be successful.
Your Au Pair will need to prove a negative COVID19 test prior to boarding her flight to Canada and will need to stay in a government authorized hotel until receiving a negative COVID19 test once in Canada (up to three days at their own expense).
Here is what the Au Pair will need to enter Canada:
- POE letter & extension (if issued)
- A written & signed job offer (based off of your Au Pair contract). This should provide ALL contact info, address, phone #, payroll number, hours of work, hourly pay, general job description, duration of employment. You must be able to demonstrate you are a legitimate employer in your job offer. No cash, under the table, weekly allowance, tax-free payments etc….
- A written 14-day quarantine plan.
- Proof of Insurance.
- Proof of Funds.
- Canadian Government website info re: Covid restrictions, entry to Canada, quarantine requirements etc…
- Proof of Medical Examination (the Au Pair should have had a Panel Exam done with results uploaded by the physician to IRC).
It is the employer’s responsibility to pay the Au Pair during the mandatory quarantine period. Au Pairs in Canada as part of the International Youth Mobility Program (IEC Working Holiday Visa) fall under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations. The IRCC advises :
|You must pay wages that are substantially the same as offered in the offer of employment during the period of mandatory quarantine when the worker first arrives in Canada, as per the current Quarantine Act order, even if the worker is unable to perform any work.|
Canadian Au Pair Solutions has contracts, job offers and sample quarantine plans in our Document Library if you are looking to purchase a membership. Please email us if you would like more information.
Here is the link to the Coronavirus/IEC website for updates. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/iec.html?fbclid=IwAR0WCcx5RIOLrepnPaZi7dK7nVoMe_aeIJxh0-hHXlOxnU0bZaMyVzWml48